How to do Laundry Like A Pro
Posted on August 31st, 2018
Laundry is the one chore that is an absolute necessity but annoying to do at the same time. Knowing how to do laundry is a necessary life skill that will help keep your clothes fresh and clean. It’s not all that difficult to master, but not doing it right can ruin your clothes. Whether you need a refresher or have never done your own laundry, following these 11 tips below will help you do laundry like a pro.
- Separate by colors – Always separate your clothes out before throwing anything into the wash. This will help to avoid dyes from your lighter or darker clothes staining your white clothes. White clothing should be washed together, dark clothing should all be washed together, and all light clothes go together. Jeans should always be washed together and separately. Same goes for bath towels, linens, and bedspreads/comforters and blankets.
- Check labels – Some clothes should be hand washed, run on a delicate cycle, or sent to the dry cleaners. Refer to the labels to ensure you are washing and drying them appropriately. You don’t want to ruin your favorite shirt or pair of slacks by washing or drying them on the wrong cycle.
- Check the pockets – Keys, lip balm, wallets, and other items are usually in our pockets. Be sure to clear anything out of your pockets, as well as zip up and button up and coats or pants before tossing them in the washer.
- Pretreat stains – Don’t let your stains sit. Treat them right away with a stain remover or a household item like lemon juice or club soda.
- Don’t overload your washer or dryer – The goal is to wash and dry your clothes properly. Overstuffing your washer won’t allow the water and laundry detergent to properly maneuver around.
- Select the right detergent – There are different types of detergent. They are available in liquid form, powder form, or single-use pod form. There are detergents available for sensitive skin, with fragrances, or bleach. Try out a few brands of detergent to figure out which is best for your items. The cheaper detergent may save you money now but may not be so kind to your clothes, linens, and towels in the long run.
- Pick the right water cycle and temperature – Linens and towels should always be run on a hot cycle to sanitize and get rid of body oil. For all other clothing, you should refer to the labels. When in doubt, choose the cold cycle to be safe.
- Unload the washer – Don’t allow your clothes to sit in the washer. Keeping them in the washer may cause mildew and wrinkles.
- Dry your clothes – Most items can be thrown directly in the dryer. Some should be laid flat while others should be hung to air dry. Please note, bathing suits, bras, compression shorts, yoga pants, and anything else that contains elastic or spandex can get ruined in the dryer. Hang them up to help them maintain their shape. Throw a dryer sheet into the dryer so your items don’t create static.
- Hang up or fold your clothes – Promptly remove your items once they have been dried. Fold or hang up your items so that they don’t get wrinkled or start piling up in your laundry basket.
- Clean out the lint trap – After each load clean out the lint trap. Your dryer will be able to run more efficiently and effectively. Plus, lint causes a fire, so you don’t want it to build up and possibly start a fire in your apartment.
Located in the heart of the South End, James and Harrison Court offers residents elegant South End apartments with modern living in two charming, historically rich buildings. Experience expansive floor plans, lofty ceilings, stainless steel appliances, wide-plank flooring, and easy-to-maintain quartz countertops. Enjoy access to impressive on-site amenities which includes a private, beautifully landscaped courtyard, fully-equipped fitness center, 24-hour concierge services, private conference space, and a pet grooming room to name just a few. Just outside, you will be met by a bustling neighborhood with unique dining options, boutique shops, over 30 art galleries, tree-lined streets, and picnic-worthy parks, all quintessential features of the South End. Contact us at 866-683-0813 to learn about our available inventory of South End apartments and how you can call James or Harrison Court home.